[Buddha-l] neuroscience: neural plasticity

Joy Vriens joy at vrienstrad.com
Fri Jun 1 00:28:03 MDT 2007

Joanna,

>I've always been interested in ideas of Nature cross-culturally, but note
>that in this review (I haven't seen the book yet) Asian concepts of Nature,
>and they had plenty of them from India's (Prakrti) to China's (?), aren't
>covered. Wow--what a great research project that could be for someone's grad
>students.

Another 85 year old French philosopher that is on the top of my list, up there with Hadot, is Marcel Conche, who wrote extensively about nature/Nature. He even wrote a book in which he offers a oeucumenical philosophy of Nature that would be acceptable to all, unlike the God of monotheism which is a cultural object related to a specific culture. he also wrote a translation of the Tao Te Ching with his own hellenistic commentaries. One of his demerits is that he is a militant pacifist, which will probably make him less palatable to many of our transatlantic friends.

Joy