[Buddha-l] Against the stream

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jun 1 07:03:15 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:
> (I'm guessing he''l say it's not as good as Hadot but is a lot better
> than Batchelor.)

I actually hold Batchelor in significantly higher regard than Levine. I
don't consider Levine interesting at all - I read a few sentences of his
first book while browsing at Borders, and my impression was that it was
all hype and no substance. A poser. And a preachy moralizing poser with
some kind of "positive message for young people" or some such crap.
Barf. My idea of suitable reading material for young people is
Castaneda, Nietzsche and "On Guerilla Warfare" by Che Guevara.

Since Levine promotes himself as they guy who has the right stuff to
explain the dharma to today's rebellious youth, he should be compared to
people who have done that successfully in the past - like D.T. Suzuki,
Alan Watts, and Ram Das. I'm searching for words to describe how
appallingly ludicrous such a comparison is........

- Curt