[Buddha-l] Enlightened golems

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 11:55:51 MDT 2007

Joy,

Thanks for the link.

I dunno.... Why do all the hard work? Is it in fact beneficial? Never
hurts to ask.

Besides, isn't it what one does with the results of the hard work? If I
could suddenly read Greek, I'd just start devouring old philosophy
texts; not sure my struggles would have been in the least
character-building.

_The Matrix_ movie showed a straightforward method for gaining all
sorts of skills, presumably mental as well as physical.

I believe the sci-fi author Larry Niven had a roughly similar method
for learning - IVs of modified RNA from "corpsicles" (frozen bodies of
people hoping for future revival) or...others. It was a most effective
way to learn, e.g., piloting a starship. And if one didn't take to the
method (or refused), one's RNA was used for the next candidate. Waste
not, want not.

Awakening for all - if that leads to desirable behavior, e.g., a large
measure of peace on earth - would be good no matter how it came about,
wouldn't it?

But it remains unclear just what effect awakening has on the person, if
any.

What do you think? I don't know, having never met anyone either
claiming enlightenment nor following a religion that included such
concepts.

Michael

--- Joy Vriens <joy at vrienstrad.com> wrote:

> I think [Begley's] book needs to be updated by adding a  new chapter
on building enlightened cyborgs. Buddhism will become obsolete if the
Dalai-Lama, Alan Wallace's meditation guinea-pig retreat team and the
rasayana researchers at Tel Aviv University get together to develop a
neuromemory chip that will guarantee awakening for all. Who needs
upadeshas when you can have your neurons do all the hard work?

> "This is like teaching by liberation," Ben-Jacob says. "We liberate
the excitatory neurons to do what they want to do."

> SCIENCE NEWS June 06, 2007
> A Step Toward a Living, Learning Memory Chip
> Israeli scientists imprint multiple, persistent memories on a culture
of neurons, paving the way to cyborg-type machines

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0306422B-E7F2-99DF-3809798634B2D416&chanID=sa003