[Buddha-l] Truth

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Mon Jun 11 19:33:33 MDT 2007

About the "If you find truth in any religion, accept it" idea...

Hmmm... the truth is not always the religion, while the truth might be present in bits and pieces in it - sometimes lesser, sometimes more, and when you hit jackpot - sometimes all! (Buddhism?)

The idea in the "quote" above is probably a more creative and simplified way of saying this from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.5-6.than.html  (Mahaparinibanna Sutta) -

'Then Subhadda went to the Blessed One and exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One, "Venerable sir, these priests & contemplatives, each with his group, each with his community, each the teacher of his group, an honored leader, well-regarded by people at large - i.e., Purana Kassapa, Makkhali Gosala, Ajita Kesakambalin, Pakudha Kaccayana, Sañjaya Belatthaputta, & the Nigantha Nataputta: Do they all have direct knowledge as they themselves claim, or do they all not have direct knowledge, or do some of them have direct knowledge and some of them not?"

"Enough, Subhadda. Put this question aside. I will teach you the Dhamma. Listen, and pay close attention. I will speak."

"Yes, lord," Subhadda answered, and the Blessed One said, "In any doctrine & discipline where the noble eightfold path is not found, no contemplative of the first... second... third... fourth order [stream-winner, once-returner, non-returner, or arahant] is found. But in any doctrine & discipline where the noble eightfold path is found, contemplatives of the first... second... third... fourth order are found. The noble eightfold path is found in this doctrine & discipline, and right here there are contemplatives of the first... second... third... fourth order. Other teachings are empty of knowledgeable contemplatives. And if the monks dwell rightly, this world will not be empty of arahants."'

~ That is to say, if in any doctrine and discipline where the <truth> - as in the Noble Eightfold Path is found, it can be accepted. Granted that the N8P is found only complete in Buddhism (at the moment, so it seems!), Buddhism is still the best bet, though partial aspects of N8P might be found hither and thither in other religions and philosophies. The special value of Buddhism is that it synthesizes the essential for liberation. Of course, most other faiths think this way for their religions too :-] This is where the good ol' Kalama spirit of good discernment comes in to decide what's really worthy.