[Buddha-l] Magic

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 18:46:35 MDT 2007

Joy et al.,

As our good Bhikkhu Dhammanando says, there's no Vinaya rule against
displaying magic, per se, though in the Cullavagga showing off a
psychic power gets compared to sexual exhibition for money. (See
<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2/ch10.html>
and scroll 4/5 down the page to the heading "Displaying psychic
powers.")

By contrast, in the category of Nissaggiya Offenses (Requiring
Expiation through Forfeiture), rule 23 begins with an origin story of
Bhikkhu Pilindavaccha creating a golden chaplet for a poor girl. She
and her family end up imprisoned for theft! (Since they could never
have acquired the chaplet through normal legal means.) Only
Pilindavaccha's turning King Seniya Bimbisāra's palace gold shows the
king he's erred in condemning the family. As a result of his displays
Pilindavaccha gets such fame folks give him way too much medicine and
he and his monks hoard it up and their vihara gets overrun with rats.
But none of this causes a rule against showing powers. Instead there's
just the institution of a rule against keeping medicine longer than a
week. So the display of magic is not such a central Buddhist sin
(Protestant imported terminology intended) as the Carus quote would
indicate. Certainly nothing compared to the heinous offense of hoarding
medicine.

Cheers,

Franz Metcalf