[Buddha-l] the 22 vows

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jun 15 19:51:00 MDT 2007

Those much touted "conversion" ceremonies for Dalits in India involve
taking 22 vows - at least 8 of which are devoted to pure unmitigated
religious sectarianism of the the most distasteful variety. I am
surprised that a non-Christian came up with these:

I shall have no faith in Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara nor shall I
worship them.

I shall have no faith in Rama and Krishna who are believed to be
incarnation of God nor shall I worship them.

I shall have no faith in Gauri, Ganapati and other gods and goddesses of
Hindus nor shall I worship them.

I do not believe in the incarnation of God.

I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnation of
Vishnu. I believe this to be sheer madness and false propaganda.

I shall not perform Shraddha nor shall I give pind-dan.

I renounce Hinduism, which is harmful for humanity and impedes the
advancement and development of humanity because it is based on
inequality, and adopt Buddhism as my religion.

I firmly believe the Dhamma of the Buddha is the only true religion.

- Curt

P.S. That last one is my favorite!!!