[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 16 02:58:12 MDT 2007

Joy,

I don't really know. Ideas of dangerous witchcraft are, as far as I
know, rather widespread in many cultures. I assume that there would
be ideas of such a kind in at least some of the cultures of
North-East India in the fourth and third centuries A.D. But I have
not researched the matter.

An alternative would be to assume that the education of women was not
socially acceptable at the time the rule was formulated. If so, the
specific permission to teach reading and writing (lekha) is
interesting.

Lance