[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jun 16 12:28:26 MDT 2007

Christopher Fynn wrote:
> Vicente Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> this thread appears in right moment.
>>
>> Are there some texts with rules for Tantrics to avoid black magic?.
>

> Vicente
>
> Generally speaking anyone practicing Buddhist Tantra is supposed to be
> following
> the Bodhisattva precepts; following the Pratimoksha vows of a monk,
> novice, layman -
> or their equivalents for women; as well as keeping at least the most
> important of the
> innumerable Vajrayana precepts.....

Anyone doing real Tantra will be working closely with a teacher. If you
are not sure whether or not a teacher is doing real Tantra or not - then
you should probably stay away. Anyone who needs to refer to outside
sources to decide what's right and what's not should just stay away
altogether.

The kind of syncretism that Vicente described is widespread in Latin
America. It is common for African, Native American, Eastern (Buddhist
and Hindu), and Christian influences to be mixed in a variety of ways. I
have never heard of this being done with specifically Tibetan practices
as part of the mix - but that fits in perfectly with the general
phenomenon of mixing and matching. Cross-fertilization between Tantric
Buddhism and "indigenous" "shamanic" practices and beliefs is actually
common in Asia as well - so there is nothing inherently illegitimate
about doing the same thing in Brazil.

Allen Kardec (1804-1869) seems to have been one of the principle agents
in this syncretism. A more modern, and less eccentric, source of
information is the work of Marelene Dobkin de Rios. She did
anthropological field work during the 60's in the Indio slums of Iquitos
- where she gained the trust of the locals by doing Tarot card readings.
She managed to go about as far as anyone ever has in terms of really
"going native" while still doing genuine research. Here is her website:
http://www.marlenedobkinderios.com/biography.html

- Curt