[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Sun Jun 17 07:00:16 MDT 2007

Vicente wrote:

 >These days I'm sharing some talks with a young man who recently leave
an strange group who are mixing Tibetan Buddhism with black magic of a
probable Brazilian origin. They are not Tibetans but they use Tibetan
Buddhism to guess their own practices.<

Dear Vicente,

A few years ago in Italy there was an investigation into the practices
of a satanic sect, some members of which have recently been convicted of
murder. At that time I saw a television program about them where they
showed the implements and paraphernalia employed by the sect for their
rituals. Several of the things they used were items used by Tibetan
Buddhists (vajras, flying daggers, skullcaps, etc.)
I don't know what, if any, knowledge of or connection with Tantra this
sect had, but it is easy to understand how people into black magic or
satanism will find Tantric implements visually appealing.

Regards,

Alberto Todeschini