[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jun 20 13:58:57 MDT 2007

Hi Brad,
Wasn't Ven. Rahula Walpola super rationalist in his writings--_What the
Buddha Taught_, for ex.? And how about the allegedly Protestant Buddhists ,
like Anagarika Dharmapala?
(Indicating how irrelevant the term 'Protestant' as applied to Buddhists
could be, if it's meant to signify purification of magical mystery tours,
let us not forget that major Protestant Christian thinkers also believed in
miracles (a.k.a. magic.)
Joanna

While we're on the subject of magic and miracles and people's resistance to
their presence in Buddhist traditions, I would like to hear about
influential pieces of scholarship that present Buddhsim as wholly
rationalist and thus completelty against assertions of the existence of
supernormal phenomena. I'm writing a piece that is trying to argue that
scholarship has not paid enough attention to supernatural concerns in
Buddhism because it has been seen as wholly rationalist, and would greatly
appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Brad Clough

The American University in Cairo