[Buddha-l] Fwd: PEACE Quote

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jun 22 09:51:00 MDT 2007

My Inner Quaker loves getting these daily quotes on peace. Today's quote, by
Will Rogers, amuses me in its own right, but it also reminds me of my
mother's father (who insisted that he was my grandfather), who lived in a
small apartment in Albuquerque with only a few sticks of simple furniture
that included a small table with a black and white photograph of Will Rogers
on it. The photo of Will Rogers was the only religious icon to which I was
exposed as a child. This particular grandfather was one of the most gentle
and non-judgmental people I have ever known, proving to my satisfaction that
the absence of religion is a good formula for the cultivation of virtue.
(That conviction was challenged by the discovery that my grandfather, who
never darkened the door of a church in his adult life, was a 32nd-degree
Freemason and thus was hardly without religion.)