[Buddha-l] Re: Magic

Tom Head tom at tomhead.net
Sat Jun 23 10:36:40 MDT 2007

Alberto Todeschini wrote:
> I wonder if theirs was just a case of picking and choosing some
> objects from a culture alien to them without knowing anything about
> their background.
I would say almost unquestionably yes.  I'm reminded of the Nazi party's
use of the swastika, which of course they selected without any
particular deference to the Hindu culture that created it.

It's very unfortunate when violent people desecrate religious symbols
like this, but it does serve as a reminder of why all symbols are
unworthy of our devotion.

Cheers,

TH