[Buddha-l] The frog in the water

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:47:21 MDT 2007

Katherine wrote:

KM> I had  started sitting here in Costa Rica in a group
KM> affiliated with a well-known center in the U.S.

I suspect the name

KM> As for the idea that philosophy never existed outside
KM> of Europe, luckily that's changing, slowly but surely.
KM>  At least in the Spanish-speaking world, the
KM> husband-wife team Fernando Tola (Peru) and Carmen
KM> Dragonetti (Argentina) have written several articles
KM> that have helped to dispell that viewpoint.

truth is that as you probably knows, in the Spanish-speaking world
there is not good knowledge about eastern religions, despite the
Spanish colonial presence in the East. Today the best countries can be
Argentina, Brazil and Mexico. Better than Spain, although they also
with scarce level. Tola and Dragonetti are a rare exception, and
unfortunately they are in advanced age and without people able to
follow their steps.

I don't agree very much with that view about Europe in Buddhist
matters. In Europe there are many bizarre views on Zen and little
alternative. Probably because there is an strong inheritance of
ex-Jesuits and Taisen Deshimaru. From here we have Dojos with
crucifixes or a lettuce notion to practice the "Zen is Zazen",
which is really sad and quite far of Dogen. In the USA, Australia,
etc.. there are more views. In this list there is many people with
extensive knowledge about these countries.
Although the comparative is important when these inheritances sums
near half-world. So I would point some things to view these
differences:

- there is more variety in the Anglo world because the contact after
the World War.

- there is the Anglo tradition in recollecting what they see around
the world. Sometimes it implies the plunder, although note the Spanish
tradition is expert in burning anything that cannot be understood.
When some things are not burned it is because are hidden forever
until this world will cease to exist. In example, here in Spain there
is the Franciscan Archive of the Far East. Access today still is
practically impossible for scholars.

- Another factor is Protestantism. Alphabetization in 19th century in
the Spanish world was the same of 16th century in Holland. This
allergy to give knowledge to the masses was extended to all the
Spanish Empire. Despite kings quickly built universities in
South-America, these centers were addressed for exclusive elites.
In the protestant world, many common people were alphabetized while
such thing was unthinkable in the Catholic world.

- Despite many logical complains in this list (and who is not critic
with his own country), truth is that Europe is traditionally more
protectionist with Religions than the USA.

- Causes of this lack of knowledge of eastern religions in the
Spanish-speaking world drive us to the end of Muslim presence.
The real cultural golden age in Spain was under Muslim domination.
In those times flourished Jewish, Christian and Muslim works, which
were passed across Europe. Muslim rulers were protectors of all that
people, and south Spain was inhabited with Sufi communities in a
quite Zen style. So it was a privileged environment. When the
Christian domination in Spain definitely arrives in 15th century, also
start a darkness age for the knowledge. Only one Religion was
possible and many efforts were made to achieve this. But it was not
easy, and the later lacks in the knowledge of eastern religions are in
good part a reflection of these times of fear towards other Religions.

In a popular level, in Spain there is a trend for the irrationality
which also implies the contempt towards  official religious views.
It happened also with Muslims rulers and before them. Still today this
trend is very present. Many people loves the Catholic ritual and at
same time are rejecting the Catholic dogmas. This complicated position
can be summarized in the picture of a fervent traditional Spanish
catholic: somebody mentally altered after drinking half-liter of wine,
and crying in front a Virgin Mary procession. This moment is perceived
as truly religious, more than visiting a temple. Such attitude of
being mind altered to perceive the sacred is just a remake of ancient
paganism and the cult to irrational forces. From always, the Spanish
catholic church remained silence about drinking alcohol to adore
Christ, blessing bullfighters, etc.. despite are serious sins in the
official doctrine. But here is the real business. And a similar
understanding was exported to South-America with Spanish and
Portuguese priests.

In this way, the traditional position was allowing ignorance of many
Christian dogmas but applying an inquisitorial attitude to impede a
learned knowledge of other religions. However, the Protestant world
can be characterized with the contrary procedure.

Of course it is quite a generalization.

best regards,