[Buddha-l] Filtered Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 10:55:28 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/26/2007 11:18:19 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
twin_oceans at yahoo.com writes:

As I  said before, I had started sitting here in Costa
Rica in a Zen group  affiliated with a well-known group
in the U.S.  After ten years of  sitting "the (mostly
Catholic) Costa Rican way," I went to the U.S. to  sit
"the Calvinist way" for five years.  (After that,  I
left.)  The difference in the attitudes and approach
to Buddhism  in the two sanghas, and how the two
sanghas socialized (or didn't) was  **astounding**.  I
often wonder if the extra ingredient that made  the
U.S. Zen center so exceedingly harsh was the  Calvinist
inheritance--the Calvinist filter, so to speak.  It
was  quite the repressive, guilt-ridden,  Puritan
experience.

======
I understand the differences you bring out but am not sure why one is
filtered Buddhism and the other is not. Can you say more?

I have had a similar experience but within two US Buddhist groups. For  years
I went to a Zen sangha. I wouldn't say they were harsh but there was  no
socializing and little discussion. Retreats were all about meditating.  Then I
started to go to other sanghas including ones that were Thich Nhat Hanh
orientated. Here there was a lot of socializing and discussion. So, my  experience is
that the difference you bring out has nothing to do with the US  but with
other causes.

Jack