[Buddha-l] Is Buddhism a Finished System?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jun 26 19:30:32 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 17:45, Chan Fu wrote:

> > I love proofs. May I see the steps in this one please?
>
> Certainly - just search for "psychoanalytic cures".

I'm still waiting for a proof. Simply restating your position flippantly
hardly provides what I'm looking for. Do you have anything to offer, or are
you just killing time until time kills you?

> > > Christianity
> > > Islam, Hinduism, et al have been proven to be insanity.
> >
> > I would also like to see the steps in this proof.
>
> Proof left to the student, though Dawkins et al have
> done a good job at it, as has our present government,
> oxymoronically. Google isn't franchised in New Mexico?

Sorry, but I've never been a very good student. I'm afraid I need to see your
argument spelled out in more detail. Again, flippancy does not provide much
help to one asking a sincere question.

Meanwhile, you might meditate on the "mission statement" of buddha-l, posted
on the buddha-l site:

\begin{quote}
Buddha-l functions as an open forum for informed discussion of topics relating
to the history, literature and languages, fine arts, philosophy, practices
and institutions of all forms of Buddhism.

The primary purpose of this list is to provide a forum for reflective
discussion. It is open to all persons inside and outside the academic context
who wish to engage in substantial discussion of topics relating to Buddhism
and Buddhist studies.

Buddha-l is not to be used for proselytizing for or against Buddhism in
general, any particular form of Buddhism, or any other religion or
philosophy, nor is it to be used as a forum for making unsubstantiable
confessions of personal conviction. Lively debate is welcome, but we aim for
a deep concern both for the matter being discussed and for those
participating in the conversation.
\end{quote}

> Don't be silly. If I was "civilized" I might end up like you
> and we wouldn't be able to have such a good conversation
> at all and you'd have sent me to Guantanamo long since...

So far I have not seen very much of anything resembling good conversation
between us. I'd like to see some one of these days, but few of my wishes come
true.

As for Guantánamo, I have yet to hear of anyone who deserves to be treated as
people are reportedly treated there. Rest assured that no one would be sent
there if I had anything to do with it. No, I lie. I'd send Dick Cheney and
George W. Bush there in a heartbeat. And Donald Rumsfeld. And Paul Wolfowitz.
And Scooter Libby. And probably Jeff Sessions and Orrin Hatch. And Rush
Limbaugh. And probably even Bill O'Reilly. And for sure Karl Rove. But not
you. And no one from Canada, Finland, the UK, Tibet, China, Singapore,
Thailand, Vietnam, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Israel, Chile, Colombia
or Mexico. Not even anyone from Conshohocken, Pennsylvania (if there is such
a place -- probably isn't, since I just made it up).

> Aren't "philosophers" just "bible writers"?

None that I am aware of. But you no doubt know a great deal more about
philosophers and bibles than I.

> What happens if one doesn't need either?

No one needs anything but food, water and air. So it's no big accomplishment
not to need either philosophers or bible writers. It's like not needing to
meditate or not needing a government.

> Is one, then, a "buddhist" by undefinition?

Is everyone who can sit still for an hour thereby a Quaker? My guess is that
it takes more than silence to make one a Quaker and more than disdain for
philosophy and bibles to make one a Buddhist. But again, that is only a
guess. For a definitive answer I must defer to your omniscience in these
matters.

--
Dayamati