[Buddha-l] The arrow: its removal and examination

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Jun 27 10:09:21 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/26/2007 1:03:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

>  If I remember correctly, the Buddha suggested that his teachings should
be:
> (1) the wording of the doctrine be studied and learned  (pariyatti), (2) the
> doctrine should be converted into a practice  (patipatti) and (3) the
> teaching should be penetrated or realized  (pativedha). It would seem that
> this  implies a difference  between study and practice.

No one denied that there is a difference  between study and practice. What I
hinted at is that study and practice do  not form a dichotomy such that doing
one means not doing the  other.
=====
I was adding to what you had said about the dichotomy and not rebutting  your
point.

[snip]

> My question
> of this list is what  is your definition of Buddhist practice and  do you
> have a daily  meditation practice?

As for how practice (carya, abhyaasa) is defined,  I'm afraid I can only give
stock answers. At the very least it consists in  s'iila (good habits of
thought, word and deed), samaadhi defined as  kus'ala-cittasya ekaagrataa
(concentration defined as single-pointed focus  of a healthy mind), and
praj~naa defined as dharma-pravicaya (wisdom  defined as investigation of
phenomena).

I can't imagine what  possible relevance my own life has to you or anyone
else
on this list. But  you asked how I spend my days. Very few moments of any day
go by that I do  not observe my mentality and external behaviour, reflect on
these  observations, think about how mentality and external behaviour might
be
improved, and strive to make those improvements. I leave it to bureaucrats
decide whether that counts as a dailty meditation  practice.
===
I haven't reached that point which you seemed to have reached. I have had a
meditative practice for over 35 years and still am unable to keep that
investigative attitude constantly throughout the day. I still need that daily
formal meditation practice to hone my skills.

Jack