[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at loyno.edu
Wed Jun 27 11:47:32 MDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Richard Hayes wrote:

>  . . .  Have you ever actually seen any
> Westerner who practices Buddhism make a disparaging remark about foreign
> Buddhists along the lines you suggest? I have seen people observe (rather
> accurately) that some Asian teachers are not very effective at communicating
> in English and that some Asian monks seem not to be very serious in their
> pursuit of Dharma.

Grounded?  Sounds like our learned colleague is rather well grounded to
me!  I'm pretty sure he can find the requested examples in the archives of
this very list.  See, for example, the responses offered by westernern
practitioners on the Buddha bikini issue (Victoria's Secret catalogue).
Here's an example of one.

As a fashionista for most of my life, I've worn religious symbols and
images on countless T-shirts, nighties, shawls, sarongs etc: since the mid
1960s --when this type of decoration went through its first fashion cycle
( in my memory anyway). I've been cuddled by Krishna, vested by Vishnu,
tarted up by Tara and Om'd in places I dare not mention in this forum. I
think Tim's student is on the extreme puriotanical wing of Buddhism and
also perhaps suffering froma sense of humour deficit. Had a look at
Victoria's Secret online catalogue -- its brill!  I'll probably buy the
swimsuit.

    There are several others along these lines.

best,
Tim