[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jun 27 13:10:21 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 12:18, curt wrote:

> To accuse people of smugly assuming that their culture is superior to
> others is not the same as calling them racists.

That distinction is a bit too subtle for me, but let's go with what you claim
you are accusing American Buddhists of. What I am asking is that you produce
evidence that Western Buddhists smugly assume that their culture is superior
to others. Your experience is perhaps a lot different from mine, for it has
been my experience (both in classes on Asian philosophy in the university and
in Dharma centres) that most people who take an interest in Asian thoughts
and practices are convinced that Western society has a great deal to learn
from Asia. If anyone is making any smug assumptions at all, it tends to be
that Western culture has nothing much of value to offer anyone and that the
only place to turn for wisdom is to non-Western cultures. I think some form
of neurotic cultural self-loathing is much more common among Western
Buddhists than smug assumptions of cultural superiority.

> It is very difficult to
> find anyone anywhere who does not, consciously or unconsciously, make
> such assumptions.

I guess we must run with very different crowds. I can't think of anyone I know
well enough to call a friend who assumes, even unconsciously, that Western
culture is superior to other cultures. No doubt such people exist in enough
abundance in the United States to keep our government filled with xenophobic
war-mongers, but I really do not encounter such xenophobia in my daily life
of hanging out with academics and Western Buddhists. (But then I also don't
know any Republicans or people who watch Fox News.)

>  It is
> easy for a Westerner to see the assumption of superiority that Tibetans
> and Japanese, for example, have toward westerners (and our money
> grubbing materialism) - and it is also painfully obvious to Tibetans and
> Japanese how we assume our superiority to them (and their silly
> superstitions).

I should hope that one of the effects of steady Dharma practice would be a
significant reduction in the impulse to make sweeping generalizations. Surely
money-grubbing materialism is nothing on which the West has a monopoly, and
surely it is not by any means universally approved in the West. One can find
practitioners of money-grubbing materialism pretty much anywhere where there
is money to grub, and perhaps one can find it even more where there is no
money to grub. But wherever one can find money-grubbing materialists, one can
find a significant number of individuals who disparage it. The same thing
could be said about "superstition" (the difference being that, unlike money,
there is no such thing as superstition in any objective sense of the word,
for it is a value judgment pure and simple).

When I lived in Japan, I was struck by how many Japanese people I met in
various walks of life who chastised themselves for their own assumptions of
cultural superiority. I felt quite at home, coming as I did from a culture in
which the favourite sport seems to be finding flaws in one's own culture and
lavishing romantic praise on everything exotic. (I did, after all, study in
an Asian studies program where xenophilia was the norm.)

> As a westerner I feel far more comfortable chastising other westerners
> for the mote in our eye, than I do mocking Asians for the speck in theirs.

Well, of course. In that I think you are very much like the vast majority of
Western Buddhists. I simply do not see any evidence anywhere of Western
Buddhists mocking Asians. Please show some evidence if you have some. Making
these reckless and frankly stupid characterizations of Western and American
Buddhists (and American cheese) is getting tiresome. If you feel a need to
set fire to straw men, please do so in the privacy of your own bedroom. We
don't need your pyrotechnics on buddha-l.

Yours in praise of Velveeta ( a real man's cheese),
Dayamati