[Buddha-l] The Dalai Lama on Self-Loathing

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 16:14:34 MDT 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

"Waldron related an anecdote about the Dalai Lama once
being asked a question about self-loathing. His
initial response was to say he had no idea what was
being asked. How can someone loathe himself? It
doesn't make sense. So his interpreter gave him a long
description of the phenomenon of self-loathing and
said it was quite a common affliction among
Westerners."

If I remember correctly, this anecdote was first
reported in Daniel Goleman’s book *Healing Emotions*.
I believe the person who asked him the question was
Sharon Salzburg, based on her experience as a
meditation teacher.  The anecdote has become a
classic, so to speak, in western Buddhist circles.

Katherine Masis