[Buddha-l] The Dalai Lama on Self-Loathing

RonLeifer at aol.com RonLeifer at aol.com
Sat Jun 30 14:27:16 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/30/2007 3:59:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

Lack of  self-esteem is
not at all the same as self-loathing.

Tai Situ thinks they are the same. So do I.
Self esteem by other names more appropriate to Buddhist psychology is  either
false pride, in which case it is vulnerable to false shame, which is  called
low self esteem,  or it is true pride which is based on  competence and
achievement.

>The latter is deeply pervasive and much more negative and destructive  to
one's self-concept than lack of self-esteem, which can be helped  fairly
easily in school or in therapy, as compared to help with the other  ailment<

This is a spurious distinction. I've never seen any of those school therapy
programs or so called mental health therapy that can build true pride.

Ron Leifer