[Buddha-l] [T.I.C] overthrowing authoritarian governments

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Mon Oct 1 06:07:25 MDT 2007

Weng-Fai Wong wrote,

>While I am all for keeping the clamp on the junta, I think the situation
>probably will turn for the worse before it can get better. As illustrated by
>the popular uprising against Marcos (Philipines) and Soeharto (Indonesia),
>it will take internal strife in the junta plus the concerted effort of the
>population within the country, for real change to happen.

The BBC website gives a recipe for overthrowing authoritarian governments:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7021567.stm
---

Widespread public protests, bringing in many different social and economic groups

#

An opposition leadership with clear ideas around which people can rally

#
The ability to use the media in some form to get a message across

#
A mechanism for undermining the existing regime - whether by internal coup in the case of a military junta, the emergence of reformers, or the simple exhaustion of an existing government leading to its collapse

#

External pressure from key countries able to exert influence.

Experience has shown that a combination of the above is usually necessary for success.

---

Hopefully American Buddhists will make good use of this information to overthrow their authoritarian goverment.