[Buddha-l] On Myanmar

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 2 10:11:28 MDT 2007

Weng-Fai Wong schreef:
> Oct 2, 2007
> Myanmar violence blamed on 'opportunists'
>
> UNITED NATIONS - MYANMAR Foreign Minister U Nyan Win on Monday blamed the
> military crackdown against anti-government protesters in his country on
> 'political opportunists' backed by 'some powerful countries'.
>
> 'The situation would not have deteriorated had the initial protest of a
> small group of activists against the rise in fuel prices not been exploited
> by political opportunists,' he told the United Nations General Assembly
> here.
>
> He said those 'opportunists ... aided and abetted by some powerful
> countries' also took advantage of protests 'staged initially by a small
> group of Buddhist clergy demanding apology for maltreatment of fellow monks
> by local authorities'.
>
> The minister asserted that Myanmar security forces showed 'utmost restraint'
> and did not intervene for nearly a month.
>
> He said authorities were then compelled to declare a curfew 'when the mob
> became unruly and provocative'.
>
> 'When protesters ignored their warning, they (security forces) had to take
> action to restore the situation. Normalcy has now returned in Myanmar,' he
> added.
>
> Mr Nyan Win portrayed the turmoil as part of 'neo-colonialist attempts' to
> impose Western-style democracy on Myanmar. -- AFP

Off course, I could have written that for them before the demonstrations
even started. Ready made lies. And it's useless to repeat them.

> ---
>
> The barriers in Sule and Shwedagon have come down, the UN envoy was allowed
> to meet Aung San Suu Kyi  - signalling that the junta is confidental that
> they have controlled the situation. The protests inside Myanmar seems to
> have died down.
>
> Many died, hundreds (monks and civilians) thrown into jails and many more
> will be tortured and perhaps die from that - nothing changed. Sigh...

A lot has changed, many Birmese have risen above the status of cattle.
It's allways better to die in protest then to live and yield. Victory
comes from practicing the paramitas not from arms. This is just the
beginning.
And I think it should be clear for every Buddhist that spilling blood of
the sangha, one of the objects of refuge is unacceptable. Every regime
that commits this heinous crime should be boycotted and faced with
feirce but nonviolent opposition.
For those that can read French:
http://www.lemonde.fr/web/chat/0,46-0@2-3216,55-961484@51-947750,0.html

--