[Buddha-l] David Loy

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Fri Oct 5 10:32:34 MDT 2007

Joy Vriens wrote:
> I can't answer for Richard, who must be busy correcting student copies
> or learning Dutch, but I wondered what you meant by making various
> non-dualities merge into one?
What I meant, and I haven't looked at the book in a long time and my
memory dims, was simply that in the end all the forms of non-duality
that he dealt with ended up being the same thing--advaita, Mahayana, and
Taoism, if dim memory serves me. I just don't see how all of these
different philosophies can be one and the same-- that's all that I
meant. Buddhism might be more fun if it is Taoism, but that is another
subject. Of course, perhaps the point of non-duality is that all things
are one (ah, the slippery difference 'tween non-duality and monism) and
why I find most forms of non-duality not simply philosophically
incoherent but rather boring to boot. I mean, even Vimalakirti had to
shut up in the end and I prefer the conversation. So I like it earlier
in the text when the goddess chides Sariputra for being silent and
reminds him that words have the same value of emancipation as all else.

> When we talk about non-duality, and even when we talk about "all one",
> we talk about a corrective to a view (reifying individuality) that
> causes dukkha? Like when we talk about anatta, emptiness and the
> equality of all dharmas in their essence, those teachings are surely
> meant to be corrective and not descriptive. Would you also fear that
> all anattas and emptinesses could be merged into one and what effect
> would you imagine that to have?
Yes, I would-- I believe that this is an argument in Indian and Tibetan
Buddhist philosophy (is the emptiness of this dharma the same as the
emptiness of that dharma), but I have always preferred to talk about
"emptinesses" precisely in order to avoid the notion that there is one
big "emptiness" thing out there swooshing around the universe. When we
speak of emptinesses we remind ourselves that emptiness (or anatta) only
has meaning in the context of something that is empty of --lacking--
something else. The emphasis tends to remain on the phenomena rather
than what is missing. Why bother with something that doesn't exist? Much
better, methinks, to be concerned about the things that do exist, that
is, inter-dependent phenomena, most of which need help. Non-duality,
emptiness--watch out for the shell game, it is beguiling!
> The Buddha himself has played with the idea of "oneness" but in a
> similar metaphoric way as non-duality theories play with it. At least
> that is how I and I hope David Loy and of course those theories
> themselves :-) interpret them.
I don't think that non-duality is a metaphor, I think that it is an
idea-- a view, if you will, and a pernicious one at that. The kind of
idea/philosophy that you can write entire books about, it seems.

> "Just as in the great ocean there is but one taste — the taste of salt — so in this Doctrine and Discipline there is but one taste — the taste of freedom"
>
> Freedom is an experience, not a thing. Non-duality, or even oneness or the one, is also an experience, not a thing. I would even say there is a big chance that the Buddha's freedom, non-duality and all the oneness theories (merged into one if one likes) are referrring to a similar experience. The experience of no boundaries, or no conditioned things if you prefer. Of course conditioned things is a pleonasm. All is unsatisfactory, the Buddha says and "What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All." (Sabba sutta).
I don't know what this has to do with non-duality (and ditto with your
quote below from Ajahn Chah); in fact, I believe that it was my old
buddy Bruce Burrill who pointed out that this was likely a direct
response to a different sort of All, that is, the monistic One of the
Upanishads, later elaborated into the unity of Sankara's advaita, which,
if my characterization of David's thesis is correct, is the same as
Mahayana and Taoism (yikes!!!):

 From the Brhadaranyaka Upanisad:

== 10. Verily, in the beginning this world was Brahma. It knew only itself
(atmanam): "I am Brahma!" Therefore it became the All. Whoever of the gods
became awakened to this, he indeed became it; likewise in the case of seers
(rsi), likewise in the case of men. Seeing this, indeed, the
seer Vamadeva began:-

I was Manu and the sun (surya)!

This is so now also. Whoever thus knows "I am Brahma!" becomes this All;
even the gods have not power to prevent his becoming thus, for he becomes
their self (atman).

So whoever worships another divinity [than his Self], thinking "He is one
and I another," he knows not. He is like a sacrificial animal for the
gods. Verily, indeed, as many animals would be of service to a man, even
so each single person is of service to the gods. If even one animal
is taken away, it is not pleasant. What, then, if many? Therefore it is
not pleasing to those [gods] that men should know this.
11. Verily, in the beginning this world was Brahma, one only. ==

> Yet there is also a mode that is unconditioned (Udana VIII.3), i.e. without *those* boundaries..
Ah, yes, Udana VIII.3. . . such confusion this little piece has created.
If the Buddha really did utter this, his editors should have left it out
of later compilations out of respect for the poor folks who latch onto
it, believing that it promises just what the Buddha denies. Others have
parsed this better than I, so I will just pass it by assuming that it is
a later interpolation rather than try to make it consonant w/ anatta--
life is too short.

But enough-- I have to get to work!

Cheers, Jamie