[Buddha-l] the advent of the meditation machine?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 9 09:54:52 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 08:28, curt wrote:

> Are you saying that baseball bats come from one of these organs, too? Or
> just the referents of religious experiences?

Religious experience, unlike baseball bats, strikes me as a completely
personal and internal phenomenon with no external components. Given that
religion is internal, I assume its origin is the human mind and nothing more.
And the human mind, I am convinced, is an effect entirely of chemical and
mechanical processes within the human body and must be located therein. So I
think is not entirely idiotic to ask where in the body the religious impulse
is. I just don't think it matters very much what the answer to the question
is. Or, to put it another way, nothing that I care about personally would in
any way be affected by the answer to that question. I don't have a pony in
that particular race.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy