[Buddha-l] Re: the advent of the meditation machine?

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 10 06:58:01 MDT 2007

Hi Joy,

  >For starters, I would suggest religion is NOT spirituality.<

Now, that makes everything clear! Sorry but, what is 'spirituality'? I
have never quite  understood if it is a hopelessly vague and ill-defined
term or simply one that has been abused for too long. I am afraid that
starting from my early twenties things like spirituality (and mysticism
too) have slowly been wiped out of my world view.

 >(Still traumatised after walking into York cathedral and seeing
statues of admirals and ex-voto dedicated to the British colonial army
siding undistinguishably with saints and other religious figures).<

If you want more of the same, try St. Paul's cathedral in London. I too
was very surprised by the spectacle. That made me think of aristocracy:
how have been people become counts, dukes or whatever? Oftentimes
through callousness, opportunism, ruthlessness and the shedding of blood
aplenty.

Regards,

Alberto Todeschini