[Buddha-l] End of laicity in France?

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Wed Oct 10 07:21:12 MDT 2007

Hi Dan,

>Concession to diet is not a bad thing (as a vegetarian who finds it
>difficult to eat in Japan and impossible outside of Israel in the Middle
>East, this is not merely armchair speculation). Similar developments are
>beginning to happen in the States, for instance, the following report from
>the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the first US university to offer
>Buddhist studies (back in the '60s under Richard Robinson):

True, this ex- and probably future vegetarian agrees, except that I think that in the case I mentioned it's a good decision for the wrong reasons.
I am always wary of distinctions between pure and impure (in other fields than basic hygiene) and the reasons to make such distinctions.

>WISCONSIN TO OPEN KOSHER KITCHEN IN NOVEMBER 2007

>"One of the things I really like about it is it's mainstream, so a kid
>who wants a kosher meal can sit at a table with a student who's not
>eating a kosher meal. That's a big deal," Steinberger said.

I can't agree more, there can't be a bigger deal than that in a school situation.

Joy