[Buddha-l] The DVR as a Kalyānamitta

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:44:25 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 15:09, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> If you insist on watching the news, you really need to get a DVR
> (digital video recorder, the machine that comes with satellite TV but
> can be acquired independently) so that you can record the entire thing
> but skip over the sections that excite your kilesas.

Sounds great, but ma femme et moi are seriously trying to reduce the number of
things we own, and buying another gadget would be moving in the wrong
direction. But your point is well taken. We have vowed to stop watching the
news (or anything else) on television during meal times (because I have
broken nearly all our dishes by hurling them at Republicans who invade my
home via television). I subscribe to podcasts of the few news and analysis
programs I can stomach, and I skip all the stuff that I know would multiply
kleshas in my beleaguered consciousness continuum.

A genuine problem these days is that Americans keep getting such pathetic
political candidates partly because American voters are so abysmally
ill-informed about almost everything (except sports and Paris Hilton's sex
life), and yet it is so horribly painful to keep informed of what is going on
in this country that only those with nerves of steel can bear to be
well-informed.

I used not to believe in evil. I took the position that it what people call
evil is just settling for lower goods. The Bush administration has cured me
of that view. It is now my view that something close to pure evil lives and
works in the White House. But even if this country were to get a much-needed
exorcism, look at what we have waiting to fill the vacuum. Aside from
Kucinich and maybe Richardson (if you pinched me very hard), there is not one
of the Democratic or Republican candidates I would be willing to back in a
race for rat catcher. The poor world that suffers under the yoke of American
incompetence and delusion is, I fear, in for quite a long and dark ride.

Oh shit, I forgot the requirements to mention something about Buddhism. Here
goes: Buddha.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy