[Buddha-l] David Loy

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Thu Oct 11 10:58:46 MDT 2007

Richard,
>> Yes, both. Please feel free to answer for me. And I request all
>> contributors
>> to buddha-l to write in Dutch from now on. I need lots of practice.

Jim,
>Here is all the dutch I can remember (showing my age).

>hebban olla vogala nestas hagunnan
>hinase hi(c) (e)nda thu
>uu(at) unbida(n) (uu)e nu

Dr. Paevler, no further evidence of your erudition was needed, yet you astonish us once again with this impeccable quote of the eldest Dutch sentence known to us. This sentence is the pride of the Dutch language. It doesn't have any religious significance, nor does it mean  "How much is this going to cost us?". It means something like "All birds have started building their nests, except you and I." Not every language can pride itself of having a pick up line as its eldest occurrence.

Joy