[Buddha-l] David Loy

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sun Oct 14 08:19:36 MDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> It's worse than that. One of the theories on Hebben olla vogala
> (cited on
> the same Wikipedia page) is that it is an old form of English (old
> Kentish),
> not Dutch. And this new oldest line (Gelobistu...) is -- like some
> would say
> about modern Dutch -- just "misspelled" German.

I happened to know the little love song as the earliest Dutch because
I studied Old English in my youth. One of the games we played was to
look as examples of all the earliest Germanic languages to see how
similar to each other they all were.  Everything I ever read in Old
English seemed to be in a different dialect (and Middle English
became even more heavily dialected) that it was not always
absolutely  obvious where the lines between "languages" and
'dialects". Kind of like the difference between "macro" and "micro"
evolution. Depends on which species you belong to.

After a while I felt pretty comfortable reading early forms of nearly
any of the Germanic languages. I also bluffed my way through the
Princeton German exam largely on the basis of my knowledge of the
Beowulf and other early sagalike materials.