[Buddha-l] A really good & provocative book

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Oct 16 11:24:47 MDT 2007

Dear Piya Tan

I'm pretty sure you will find it as intriguing as I did. First I did a quick
read, now am going through it chapter by chapter and trying to focus more on
his examples.
Please post your "take" on the book when you get a chance.
Yes, many more books on Buddhism than earlier on--good thing winter is
approaching--
more time to read :)

Best wishes, Joanna
==================================

Dear Joanna,

Yes, I have already booked the title with the local Buddhist bookshop. I
should have at least browsed it when i first saw the book. Thanks for
recommending
it: just what I would enjoy reading.

It's amazing how many new Buddhist books get published every year (month?)
compared to some 2 decades ago.

Best wishes,

Piya

On 10/16/07, jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> Speaking of the cooky Mahayana sutras, y'all have GOT to get this
> book--I got it via ILL--it's a fantastically good critique of 4
> Mahayana sutras as literature, of their rhetorical hankypanky--I am so
impressed:

> Alan Cole. _Text As Father : Paternal Seductions in Early Mahayana
> Buddhist Literature_. UCPress, 2005.  He takes on the Lotus, the
> Tathagata, the Diamond, and Vimalakirti's Nirdesa. [how they got rid
> of the old Buddha and made a new one: the texts! + their tricks of the
> trade]
>
> My only quibble is the same as with some other scholarly books--he
> overdoes the writing, it's often prolix and repetitive, he could
> have eliminated at least 25% of it. Still a brilliant contribution to
> undoing the smug Mahayana mainstays.
>
> Joanna

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:14 PM