[Buddha-l] Re: buddha-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 17

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 19 02:59:34 MDT 2007

Joy,

> But it does say something about the Buddha, doesn't it? He is speaking to
people who left their respective roles in society behind them and went to
the homeless life. [...], yet makes a reference to Sati's life before being
a monk and even to Sati's father who doesn't have anything to with this.

Well, by current sensibilities you certainly have a point. For the last
decade or so, when I give undergrads this sutta to read, they become livid,
and can't get past Buddha calling someone a "fool." I've come up with a
variety of strategies for defusing that -- so they'll notice the rest of the
sutta -- but this definitely annoys people these days. Perhaps Lance can
mount a better defense for poor ole Gotama.

In terms of literary effect, the repeated reminders that Sati is a
fisherman's son is intended to give some punch to the punchline at the very
end of the sutta, which is that Sati is ensnared in the nets of desire and
delusion, implying "like a fish."

Dan