[Buddha-l] Best Buddha bio?

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sun Oct 21 21:54:53 MDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 7:47 PM, [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an wrote:

> Er... what's the (in)appropriate word... Osamu's "Buddha" series
> seriously "sux". I

I am the idiot who recommended reading it, and I should not have
recommended it as a biography of the Buddha, nor an accurate
depiction of the details of Buddhist "theology".  I should have
recommended it as a good "epic". It is not suitable for kids, as has
been implied, because of the rather horrendous (and roughly accurate
as far as I can tell) depiction of the horrors of the caste system
and as well as the notion that all sentient beings suffer (because
ALL beings suffer, and I mean really suffer, in this book, whether
they are untouchables, thieves, kings or princes, boddhisatvas or
buddhas). In spite of its self-deprecating humor, the book thoroughly
explores the ideas of impermanence and suffering.

Perhaps impermanence and suffering are the only Buddhist ideas I
understand.

I think it is a rather Buddhist book, and stand by that.  Tesuku
himself, of course, was not a buddhist. Perhaps I ain't neither.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org