[Buddha-l] Emptiness

mc1 at aol.com mc1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 21 09:25:13 MDT 2007

I have a class coming up on Emptiness and intend to use the Advaita
Vedanta model of waking, dream, deep sleep and Turiya. Where each satta has its
own individuality/ego (viswa, taijasa, prajna) - waking is no different from
dream (with technical exception); dream is the same and different from deep
sleep. But deep sleep is what? Sankara says Consciousness (with a tricky
difference). His evidence is waking up with the memory of a good sleep. Thus memory = Consciousness. How might Madhayamika relate Emptiness to this model?

I await offline and will, with all’s indulgence, observe humbly
without responding. –michael cohen