[Buddha-l] the true authority on meanings

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 22 13:36:58 MDT 2007

Michael Essex schreef:
> 'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it
> means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'
> 'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many
> different things.'
>
> 'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's
> all.'
>
> (from a long term lurker on this list.)
> Mike Essex
>
> Piya wrote:
>
>   >This is the well known debate as regards who defines the words we
> use:
>
>> the dictionary or the speaker.
>>

> Montaigne said that words are defined for half by the one speaking and
> for half by the one hearing them. No rules will change that reality.
> Appealing to dictionaries, conventions or other expressions of
> authority is a different matter. They dont apply to what happens but to
> what ought to happen or is conventionally expected to happen.

If the Red Socks win a match, is it half their doing and half the
opponents? In fact this is another example of emptiness: no one is
causing the Red Socks to win, it's the outcome of a game and it's
nothing in itself. Likewise the meaning of a word is not caused by
someones definition, it happens in a dialogue. Wittgenstein was almost
as furious as the protrectress of dear old Alice on St Augustine for his
advocating the idea of a private language. However he never mentioned
Humpty Dumpty as far as I know.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms