[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

Dante Rosati danterosati at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:44:47 MDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:43, Dante Rosati wrote:
>
> > "mind" and "body" are both designations. there must be something prior
> > to them that is able to designate both from a position that is
> > neither.
>
> Why?

both can be deconstructed, for example a la madhymaka, to show that
they are not designations of anything, but just designations. so if
there is no actual "body" or "mind" then where do designations come
from? our immediate experience of the actual present is not a
designation (my designation of it is not the experience itself, merely
a conceptual pointing).