[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 23 18:09:21 MDT 2007

Dante Rosati wrote:

> "mind" and "body" are both designations. there must be something prior
> to them that is able to designate both from a position that is
> neither.

I've found this claim often but am puzzled by it.
If the claim is epistemological, it seems to be assuming an _atman_
which does the designating.
"If there is perception, there must be a perceiver."
"If there is thinking, there must be a thinker" (Descartes).

If I were a Madhyamika, I'd guess I'd answer _sunyata_ is the "prior."
If I were a Yogacarin, I'd guess I'd answer _alayavijnana_ is the "prior."
If I were a Christian, I'd guess I'd answer god is behind all designations.

However, I'd be inclined to adopt a later Wittgensteinian position on
this. I'm guessing that linguistic grammatical considerations are
leading us to a conclusion about unfalsifiable entities which is very
questionable.

Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy