[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 24 11:58:17 MDT 2007

Dante Rosati wrote:
> the original question was whether priority could or should be assigned
> to mind or body. My point was that both were dependent designations
> signifying nothing. Designating is actually done by ignorance in the
> first place. If we abide in that which is not involved in the ignorant
> designating activity (and the presence of immediate actuality is such)
> then Bush will naturally disappear, as will all defilements. Allowing
> Bush to self-liberate into emptiness is called "engaged Buddhism".

You have now posited eight "dharmas":

(1) mind
(2) body
(3) ignorance (that which designates "mind" and "body")
(4) "that which is not involved in the ignorant designating activity"
(5) "immediate actuality as such"
(6) George Bush
(7) emptiness
(8) engaged Buddhism

Apparently #6 is a worst case scenario of #3, whereas #8 appears to have
priority over all the rest. The priority of #8 is based on it's ability
to transform #6 into #7.

I applaud this idea on paper - but I would like to see it put in to
practice. Sooner rather than later.

Curt Steinmetz