[Buddha-l] Heart of the matter?

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Oct 30 08:27:57 MDT 2007

Margaret Gouin wrote:

> One group at least (FPMT) has been given some direction on this. In
> _Advice and Practices for Death & Dying for the Benefit of Self and
> Others_, Lama Zopa Rinpoche has a section on 'Practicing charity with the
> body' (p. 41 for those of you who want to check) where he suggests that
> it's okay if you wait as long as the doctor who's going to harvest the
> organs says you can, and just before that time is up, perform 'pho ba
> (transference).

This of course presumes one is conscious and in a state where one is capable of
performing such a practice.

> I haven't heard of any other modern attempts by any Tibetan Buddhist
> traditions or groups to sort this out, and would appreciate being advised
> if anyone has more information--this is related to my field of research.
> Thanks.

 > Margaret

If one donates a part of the body with the intent of benefiting another being
who may be able to use it for more beneficial purposes than oneself - or perhaps
even to simply to relieve their suffering - this would seem to be a selfless,
charitable and meritorious Bodhisattva type of deed.

- Chris