[Buddha-l] Buddhism and AA

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Sep 11 13:46:21 MDT 2007

Bet he was converted while serving his sentence in prison.
It might be interesting to see statistics on the percentage of pre-prison
Buddhists in jail or prison in, say, 2006. I suspect it would be very low.

I wonder if an atheist could also sue if ordered to attend AA? Providing he
declares that atheism is his religion.

Joanna
===============

Some of you may have seen an article about a US federal court decision
involving a Buddhist who, when released from prison, was ordered by his
parole office to join Alcoholics Anonymous. The Buddhist sued, claiming that
AA is a religious organization and that being ordered to attend meetings
there violated his constitutionally guaranteed rights to freedom of
religion.
He won his case.

Any comments?

--