[Buddha-l] Buddhism and AA

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Sep 11 14:26:42 MDT 2007

Hmmm--dang, wrong again.
However, Japanese men according to what I've read and heard sure love drink
(alocholic), so maybe it was demon rum that got him.

Re your other question, about religion libraries in prisons--probably
someone on the list who serves with Buddhist prison missions might send a
reply on the book issue.

Joanna
==================

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 13:46, jkirk wrote:

> Bet he was converted while serving his sentence in prison.

I think not. The person in question has a Japanese surname. I'd guess he was
probably brought up at least nominally Buddhist.

> It might be interesting to see statistics on the percentage of
> pre-prison Buddhists in jail or prison in, say, 2006. I suspect it would
be very low.

Given that something like one half of one percent of the American population
is Buddhist, I'd hope the percentage of Buddhists in prisons is pretty low.
I'd guess the percentage of potential members of AA might be somewhat
higher.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy