[Buddha-l] Five groups of five substances

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Wed Sep 12 00:30:23 MDT 2007

Hi Alex,

I remember an interesting chapter on pentads and the pentadic structure of the cosmos (or of anything considered as a "whole" in fact) in David Gordon White's The Alchemical Body. I just looked it up: Chapter Seven "Corresponding hierarchies", sub-chapter 5. "Pentads in Metallic and Yogic Hierarchies of the Elements. I can't see a mention of the "substances of the five pentads" as such, but he does mention various pentads of the alchemical tradition: the five gemstones, the five salts, the five greater and lesser poisons, the five animal oils, the five white, red and yellow substances. And then there are the more known ones that you already mentioned.

Joy