[Buddha-l] Dangerous freedom

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Wed Sep 12 07:29:28 MDT 2007

"sgrol ba" ("liberation") is the practice through which one "transfers forcefully and compassionately the consciousness of a sentient being to a higher level of existence".

I couldn't help thinking of this practice and of human sacrifices when I read the following article.

Daryl Holton's final words before facing the electric chair: "I do."
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=57503

The victim, the convict's ex-wife stated: “Today, all the anger, hatred and along time of nightmares can finally leave me” and the convict's attorney: “This morning, Daryl Holton is free from the demons that haunted him”. A win-win situation, just like grol ba. A nation frees itself of a criminal (who once was trained and served it as a soldier), a victim frees herself of her anger, hatred and nightmares and the convict frees himself of *his* demons.
Is everybody starting to see the light or is the spin around us getting so thick that core values are lost of sight?

Joy