[Buddha-l] Dangerous religious literature?

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Fri Sep 14 00:07:10 MDT 2007

I heard Kobutso Malone give a fine presentation on his work at the American Buddhism Conference in San Diego about nine years ago.  Very powerful.  Way before 9/11--he was quite frustrated/angry/vajra-fierce about the way the prisons treated counsellors, priests, religious workers etc:  the enemy.  Meditative cushions might be weapons so we can't allow, and other such ridiculousness.  The mindset is something I've heard similar "helper" people face:  prisons construct prisoners as demons, largely beyond salvation.  And so counsellors, priests, monks, educators...disrupt that discourse.  The mess up the guards' worldview, make it seem less absolute.

So maybe the "post-9/11" thing isn't just "anti-Islam" (with anti-Buddhist side effects), but is more "anti-prisoner".  As with everything George Bush has done, 9/11 is catalyst more than cause.

Would be interested to hear Kobutsu Malone's views on what I've just said, if anyone's in touch with him.  I strongly recall his talk and mean, someday, to make good on my promise to attempt prison-dharma work in Singapore.

Best,  JWB

-----

Checked by AVG Free Edition.