[Buddha-l] Dangerous religious literature?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Sep 15 10:22:54 MDT 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 06:25, Joy Vriens wrote:

> Another way of approaching  the "problem" of approved religious litterature
> per specific religion is to focus on what those religions have in common.
> Why not teach Buddhism through texts belonging to the list of 150 Christian
> books (Is Thomas a Kempis's book on it?).

>From what I have been able to gather, Imitatio Christi is not among the
approved books, nor are any of the desert fathers. Years ago I taught a class
in which the Philokalia was required reading, and many of the Christian
students found it quite off-putting. A couple even suggested I had smuggled a
Buddhist text into the course; they were quite sure no Christian could ever
have written texts like those in Philokalia. The same students were equally
put off by Augustine and Aquinas. Pretty much anything before Billy Graham or
Timothy LaHaye seemed dangerously anti-Christian to them. The state of
Christianity in contemporary America is not a pretty sight.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy