[Buddha-l] Re: Gog and Magog

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Sep 19 10:57:49 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007 10:12, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> There's a new book out from Naomi Klein: 'The Shock Doctrine - The Rise
> of Disaster Capitalism'. I believe she discloses some of the capitalist
> mechanisms behind the continuity of conflicts. It seems that continuing
> a war can be more profitable than stopping it.

There never has been much money in either peace or health. That's why American
government, always infatuated with the prospects of maximizing profits for
billionaires, works around the clock to keep as many of us as possible sick
and at war. (Me, I'm sick of war.) And, to keep us all happy being sick and
bellicose, the government also works hard to keep us ignorant and
ill-informed.

By the way, Erik, there are plans afoot for me (met mijn vrouw natuurlijk) to
be in Leiden for a semester in 2009. If that comes to fruition, perhaps we
can meet up and discuss capitalism from a madhyamaka perspective.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy