[Buddha-l] Re: Earliest Buddhist Customs and Liturgy

Dhammanando Bhikkhu dhammanando at csloxinfo.com
Wed Sep 19 16:17:54 MDT 2007

Joanna:

> (One point that has flummoxed me is what precisely does it mean when
> the
> text says that after greeting the Buddha the interlocutor "stood to one
> side." I wonder what that looked like.....to the left or the right of
> the
> Buddha? How far to one side? Behind him?)

I don't exactly how they sat, but the Pali commentaries' gloss on the
phrase "at one side" explains that brahmins held that there were six
ways one shouldn't sit when visiting a teacher:

1) Too far away from him (atiduura.m) — for then one would have to
shout to make one's questions heard.
2) Too near to him (accaasanna.m) — for this would be cramping him.
3) Upwind from him (uparivaata.m) — for then he will have to put up
with one's body odour.
4) Higher than he (unnatappadesa.m) — for this is disrespectful.
5) Too much to his front (atisammukha.m) — for then it would seem that
one is staring at him.
6) Too much to his rear (atipacchaa) — for then one would have to
stretch one's neck too much to see him.

In the case of the Buddha, an additional reason for sitting at one side
rather than in front of him was to avoid annoying devas. I vaguely
recall one or two suttas where devas complain to the Buddha that some
inconsiderate oaf is blocking their view.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando