[Buddha-l] Re: Earliest Buddhist Customs and Liturgy

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 26 19:33:30 MDT 2007

Gang,

I think there is some dispute about just how Brahmanized Magadha was at
the time of the Buddha. Certainly the kingdoms further west were more
Brahmin-centric. Richard's mention of the words of brahmins regarding
the cultural level of Magadha support this view. This dispute is one
reason I'm looking forward to reading Dr. Links' thesis. I'm expecting
it to directly address possible differences between the practices of
samanas (such as the Buddhists) in Magadha from the practices of
samanas or brahmanas in, say, Kosala.

Thanks, Richard and Joanna, for all your help. I'll report on the book
when I get it.

Franz