[Buddha-l] Burma or Myanmar

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 29 02:01:28 MDT 2007

Chan Fu schreef:
> Yeah...
>
> Dear friends in the dharma,
> If you are able to, please consider participating in this:
> Impeach Cheney and Bush, get out of the middle east
> and take care of your own people. Then, when your infinitely
> compassionate being has enough diplomatic credibility,
> try to convince the governmental powers (read "military")
> of Myanmar and China that they shouldn't beat people up
> and hang or shoot them for doing things that they don't
> think are right. When you're done, please take on the Islamic
> and Christian fundamentalists, the Catholic Church, and the
> rest of these %#%$&* primitive tribes and convince them to
> mind their own goddam business. Good luck.
> And stop watching television.
> Thank you,
> Buddha

Dear Buddha
(I never thought I would write this :-) ). You make the classical mistake of confusing 'is' and 'ought'. All the wrong doings in the world are no reason to accept yet another wrong doing. If someone would beat you up, saying 'it's ok because look what they do to people in Burma', you wouldn't accept it either. (It would be another matter of course, if this person would refer to a Zen koan.)

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio