[Buddha-l] Sabba Sutta

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Dec 1 06:18:39 MST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 01:05 -0500, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Forgive me for thinking that when what I wrote about Jung is labeled
> "unreliable" I take that to mean that I am making unwarranted claims.

I did mean that. You chose to focus on only one aspect of Jung's
multi-dimensional theory of the collective unconscious and to treat it
as if that was the entire picture. That, in my view, is shoddy
scholarship.

On the Digāga issue:

> In short, the evidence is there. If you choose not acknowledge it, that's
> another story.

I am fully aware of the "evidence". I acknowledge its role in forming
the received opinion on Dignāga's scholastic affiliations. That
notwithstanding, I do not think it is in any way productive to regard
Dignāga as representing the views of any school. Attaching scholastic
labels to him is a bankrupt enterprise. It sheds no light whatsoever on
his thought. It is his thought that interests me, not his real or
imagined affiliations.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy