[Buddha-l] Sabba Sutta

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 1 06:38:14 MST 2008

Dear Jayarava,

First, I am presently working on a book on the early Buddhist development of
hetuvidya in India and China, from Asanga up to (but not including)
Dharmakirti (since Dharmakirti was never translated into Chinese in
classical times. This will all be documented in much greater there.

Secondly, there were several prongs to my claim, the fact that their
contemporaries and near contemporaries, and early commentators all
identified them as Yogacaras being only one of those prongs. Most are *not*
retrospective labelings, but actually fill the period *between* Dignaga and
Candrakirti. That means, for instance, that Bhavaviveka (ca. 6th c.) treats
Dignaga as a key Yogacara figure, devoting much of his effort at critiquing
Yogacara to dealing with Dignaga's system; Candrakirti does the same. So,
while Richard sees Madhyamaka in Dignaga (one could also say one sees
Madhyamaka in Yogacara without much strain), the Madhyamakans themselves did
not -- they saw him as an exponent of their rival, the Yogacaras.
Correlatively, when Jinendrabuddhi in his commentary on Pramanasamuccaya
sees Dignaga as a Yogacara, he is part of a long tradition by that time that
has been doing that. Dharmakirti, we learn, was considered part of that
tradition, and his commentators considered him as such. Sthiramati and
Dharmapala were also serious students of Dignaga; evidence of the former can
be found in his extant works, while in Dharmapala's case we know that
because of a number of commentaries he is said to have written on Dignaga's
works, only one of which, his commentary on Alambana-pariksa, survives (in
Chinese translation by Yijing only). Labeling is not definitive, but it does
mean something that amongst the earliest

The Alambana-pariksa was a particularly important text for Yogacara. It was
translated into Chinese by Paramartha (and Indian Yogacara), Xuanzang (a
Chinese Yogacara), and Yijing (a non-Yogacara, who translated works from
Madhyamaka, Yogacara, Mahasamghikas, and others).

To the question of what "innovations" did Dignaga bring to Yogacara, I would
suggest reading Vasubandhu's Vimsatika (20 Verses) in tandem with
Alambana-pariksa. The influence of the former on the latter will become
evident. The details are more than we can get into in an email, but, since
the idea of "own-seeds" and "others-seeds" has recently come up, if one
reads Dignaga's vrtti to the last two verses of Alambana-pariksa one will
discover that it is precisely that idea (which he recasts slightly) that is
his "solution" to the problem of what constitutes an alambana. If that is
still obscure, then wait for the dissertation being written by one of my
former students, Sonam Kachru, working at U Chicago under Dan Arnold. The
relation between the Vimsatika and Alambana-pariksa is his topic.

As for the example from the Heart Sutra, one needn't approach this
hypothetically. The two earliest Heart Sutra commentaries are by Kuiji
(Xuanzang's disciple and successor) and Wonch'uk (another Xuanzang disciple
and Kuiji's rival). I co-translated Kuiji's commentary with Heng-ching Shih
(published by Numata), and there are two English translations of Wonch'uk's
commentary (dissertations: Chang-geun Hwang, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison,
2000; B. Hyun Choo, Drew University, 2003). Since it is a prajnaparamita
text, both Kuiji (or K'uei-chi) and Wonch'uk deam it a text of the second
turning of the Dharma-wheel. According to the Sandhinirmocana sutra, there
are three turnings of the wheel: 1. the Sravaka teachings, 2. Prajnaparamita
(sometimes mistakenly identified as Madhyamaka teachings), and 3. Yogacara
teachings. So neither claims the text as a Yogacara text. However, for them,
it is susceptible to a Yogacara reading. What that means in Kuiji's case is
that for each line, key term, etc., of the sutra, Kuiji provides a
Madhyamakan interpretation and then a Yogacara interpretation. He has the
interpretations debate each other (though occasionally they are in
agreement), and, since he is a Yogacara, the Yogacara side invariably
triumphs. The important point in this context is that he does NOT claim the
text itself is a Yogacara text. It is a prajnaparamita text that still
requires the additional effort of a Yogacara reading. So, for instance, when
Kuiji tells us elsewhere that Dignaga was a Yogacara (as does Xuanzang),
this is not due to a need to conflate everything he likes under a strict
affiliation to Yogacara. Again, both Xuanzang and Yijing separately, at
different times, learned from their Indian informants (at Nalanda and
elsewhere) that Dignaga (and for Yijing, Dharmakirti) is a Yogacara.

Finally, as to what, in general, Dignaga does for Yogacara (or because of
Yogacara), aside from a multitude of aspects of his own writings that are
directly drawn from the writings of Asanga and Vasubandhu, is to follow and
further refine an important agenda proposed by Asanga and Vasubandhu, namely
focus on pramana theory for the mental exercise and persuasive power of
debate, and to clean up one's own and others' cognitive functions. Even his
apoha theory is developed from Asanga's language usage (Asanga does not lay
out a "theory" of apoha, but uses apoha moves to define key aspects of his
own pramana discussion, especially in his discussion of pratyaksa).
Vasubandhu took Asanga's recommendation to develop pramana and vada theory
and practice seriously and devoted some attention to that (and several
texts). Unfortunately, since his vada texts are not extant in full, we lack
all the details that would illustrate in what ways specifically he went
beyond Asanga and subsequently Dignaga went beyond him. But, as I've been
suggesting, even without Vasubandhu, one can see the direct and potent
influence of Asanga on Dignaga if one just looks for it [and, as I
mentioned, this is not my idea or discovery, but something already well
documented by Tucci back in the 1920s; G. Tucci, "Buddhist Logic Before
Dinnaga (Asanga, Vasubandhu, Tarka-sastras)", JRAS 1929, 451-488, 870].

Dan Lusthaus